Within surfing circles, Bethany Hamilton is already a living legend at just 21.
Following the international release of her film “Soul Surfer”, the world will know her heroic life story before she’s 22.
Who is Bethany Hamilton?
In case you haven’t seen the film, read her book, or noticed the media frenzy that follows the life of Bethany Hamilton, here’s a quick summary:
• Born on 8th February 1990, Kauai, Hawaii
• Age 8, Bethany won shortboard and longboard divisions in her first surf comp
• Age 13, on October 31 2003, Bethany was attacked by a shark and lost her left arm
• January 2004, she returned to competition; placing 5th in the Open Women’s division
• In October 2004, Bethany published her autobiography entitled Soul Surfer
• In 2005 Bethany took 1st place at the NSSA National Championships
• In 2007 Bethany fulfilled a dream and turned ‘Pro’
• Bethany finished 2nd in the ASP 2009 World Junior Championships
• April 2011, Soul Surfer was released as a major motion picture
• On 22nd September 2011, Soul Surfer’s UK premier at the British Surf Film Festival
Now that’s amazing!
Here’s a visual celebration of Bethany Hamilton’s achievements:
For more Bethany Hamilton photos visit the Surfer Photos Gallery.
Follow Surfer Dad on Twitter
Join Surfer Dad on G+
Help The Wave Project