Woohoo, it’s bigger, it’s better and it’s back in Newquay. So here’s what you need to know:
Event: Approaching Lines International Festival of Surf presented by Reef
Date: Thursday 19th March to Sunday 22nd March 2015
Location: Lighthouse Cinema, Newquay, Cornwall, TR7 1AA
What’s On: The very best surf films from across the globe
UPDATE: Full line up added below.
I promise I will update this post with the actual film titles when they are announced later this week. However, the organisers boldly promise the hand picked line up will “inspire, enlighten and entertain, while redefining the parameters of possibility”. I’m frothing already.
The surf films will be screened at Newquay’s state of the art Lighthouse Cinema, and accompanied by inspiring talks from filmmakers and notable waveriders. If that wasn’t enough, there’s also a showcase of the most relevant artists, artisans, makers, doers and photographers from the British wave riding scene.
Festival Director Chris Nelson waxed lyrical about this years offering:
“We’ve worked with filmmakers from award-winning international directors to homegrown talents to curate a programme of the year’s most exciting movies. The line up combines stunning cinematography, cutting edge performance, inspiring documentaries and travelogues, taking you on a wave riding journey through a range of perspectives that will stoke the fires for the season ahead.”
“For many of the films this will be the only chance to see them on the big screen in the southwest, watched as they were intended to be seen, surrounded by an enthusiastic and amped crew.”
This year’s event includes a one day single fin surf contest. “The emphasis will be on style and generating good vibes, good rides and good times!” says Chris Nelson.
So for 19 – 22 March 2015 write on your calendar “going to watch surf films in Newquay”.
The Full Line Up
Tickets are only £5 available via the Lighthouse Cinema in Newquay:
Go online: wtwcinemas.co.uk
Or call the Box Office: 01637 878650 / 0871 2003304.
A limited number of evening passes are available for £8 and include entry to all the movies on your night of choice plus a complimentary beer from Sharps Brewery. (18 and over).
THURSDAY 19th MARCH
SESSION 1 at 7 PM
• WHAT THE SEA GIVES ME Dir. Pierce M Kavanagh, USA. SOUTHWEST PREMIERE
• SHALL WE DIGRESS Dir. Zach Walker. UK PREMIERE
SESSION 2 at 8.55PM
• 70 SOMETHING, Dir. Rafael Mellin, Bra. SOUTHWEST PREMIERE
• NORTH TO NOOSA, Dir. Dustin Humphrey, Aus. UK PREMIERE
FRIDAY 20th MARCH
SESSION 1 at 7 PM
• EXPENCIVE PORNO MOVIE, Dir. TIN OJEDA, USA. SOUTHWEST PREMIERE
• LAST SUMMERS JUNK Dir. Dir. John Eldridge / Tom German, UK. WORLD PREMIERE
SESSION 2 at 8.30PM
• CLUSTER, Dir. KAI NEVILLE, AUS. UK PREMIERE
With Director Q&A with Kai Neville
• STRAY Dir. Patrick Blades, UK. SOUTHWEST PREMIERE
SATURDAY 21st MARCH
SESSION 1 at 5.30PM
• CHASING THE DREAM, Dir. JASON MOON, UK. UK PREMIERE
• ICONIC, Dir. Chris Case, UK. WORLD PREMIERE
SESSION 2 at 7 PM
• STEPHANIE IN THE WATER, Dir. Ava Warbrick, AUS. SOUTHWEST PREMIERE
Q&A with Producer / Editor Isabel Freeman
• SEEKING OMBAK Dir. Tim Davies, UK. WORLD PREMIERE
Q&A with Director Tim Davies plus Alan Stokes
SESSION 3 at 9pm
• TIERRA DE PATAGONES, Dir. Joaquin and Julian Azulay, Arg. SOUTHWEST PREMIERE
• LA FRANCE A BICYCLETTE, Dir. Arthur Bourbon EUROPEAN PREMIERE
AFTER PARTY at 10.30pm
Upstairs Downstairs Vinyl Collective DJ’s
Sunday 22nd March
• REEF SINGLE FIN CLASSIC INVITATIONAL
12 of the UK’s best surfers face off on single fins at the iconic Fistral Beach, Newquay.
For more details, visit the Approaching Lines website.